Tuesday, June 27, 2006

kyoto jazz massive


I was fortunate enough to see the kyoto jazz massive a few days ago. I went into Takezo's record store to say hello- a guy walked in and asked him for some good jazz records because he was going to spin that night at freedom time. I was planning to go to the show already- which consisted of Sleep Walker (an amazing nu-jazz band, part of the kyoto jazz massive) and mark de clive-lowe (insane producer) with special guest voalist bembe segue. He was nice enough to put me on the guestlist- but here in Japan guestlist does not mean free as it does in other countries... you still have to pay! (you get like ~$10 off or something sometimes). When I said thanks at the show he seemed pretty disinterested in talking to me, ah well- so I left the lounge and enjoyed the musical sounds of the headliners. I feel like I'm getting old- I'm starting to like house and this acid jazz stuff more and more .. but it's for old people! haha. That aside, I strongly suggest you check out all of these people- mad talent. I took some video with my digicam but it was too dark- but you can still hear the stuff they were doing and how much the crowd loved them. The vibe was great- even though I was extremely tired as I only slept 3 hours the previous night- their stage presence and the energy between them was amazing (almost all of it was loosely structured improv). mark de clive was killing it too- he would construct the illest beats on the spot- the high point being a zapp and roger-esque beat right when i needed it. amazing. once i figure out how to compress my videos without screwing up the time signature of my movies i'll try to upload them to youtube- i've only got one up there now and it's the worst of the bunch, but it's still pretty ill. check it out.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home